Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Obsessive Reading Habits

My roommate put forth an interesting question to me yesterday. If you were banned from reading, what would you do with your time? After much contemplation of both my past and my present, I have realized that my reading habits have gone too far. Like all things, reading should be done in moderation. For most people, that means they should at least read a book a month. For me though, that means I need to curtail my reading habits, for they have become seriously unhealthy.

I am currently at the point in my life where I come home from work/church and IMMEDIATELY start reading and I don't stop until sometime after 11pm when I finish the last book (which means if I start a new book at 10:30 then I won't finish and go to bed till 2-3 sometimes). That means on some days I may read up to 5 books before calling it a night. More often then not, I end up skipping dinner because I don't want to waste the time I could have spent reading by fixing and eating something. Considering this is all I do - PERIOD! - I realized this may not be a good thing (you think!?!) . Thus bringing me back to my roommate's question ...

What would I do if I couldn't read? I don't know. What do I currently do now besides reading? I can't think of ANYTHING! I am trying to imagine a day without a book and it just scares the bee-gee-bee's out of me. So, the real question becomes, now that I have discovered/acknowledged this problem in my life, what am I going to do about it? Set a daily limit of books/pages/chapters? Cut up my library cards? Maybe I should find a book about how other people handled their obsessions with reading :-)

2 Comments:

At 10:56 AM , Blogger Hmachine said...

LOL, that's why you're so stinkin' smart!!! Maybe you should find another hobby you enjoy, then you don't have to limit yourself, necessarily, because you will have something else you want to do also. :) I dunno!! Good luck. :)

 
At 4:09 PM , Blogger Jon said...

You could put your obsession into use and write books (as we all know most of us are VERY opinionated on how a book should be). It'd be fun.. Much like Hitler's Happy Gruesome Day of Horror. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home