Monday, January 31, 2005

Apparently, we needed a bath.

BAH! bahbahbahbahbahbahBAH!

OK, now that that is out of my system, I will now tell you why I am saying it repetitively. So we got home from church yesterday to find that nature decided to not follow its normal actions of staying outside. IT WAS FREAKIN' RAINING IN OUR APARTMENT! Apparently while the complex was all at church a pipe broke in the apartment above ours and completely leaked through down to our apartment, and then through ours down to the lounge in the basement. I was the last person home because I delegated myself to putting away all of the hymn books after church, and I get home to buckets and pots everywhere and my roommates trying to save all of their stuff by putting it in the lower bunks of the bunk beds. First thing I did was check my computer (which was positioned just right where nothing would get to it, so it was fine. And then I got to work.

The main 'rain' was coming down in the front halves of both bedrooms and in the bathroom/vanity area. Along with that, because there was so much water, it was seeping through the carpet to other areas and flowing out into the kitchen. I realized that the majority of the water was coming through these visible seams in the ceiling. So in order to get rid of the majority of pots and bowls that were tripping everyone (I actually stepped on a pot and totally bent it in a weird way that no one can figure out how it happened :-), I started taping large towels over these seams so that the majority of the water would be caught by the towel and the only dripping would occur from the middle of the towels. That helped us out so that we could at least walk around and get dressed in working clothes without being splattered (we were still in our church clothes). After that it was just a general mopping up effect trying to get the water off the floor so that it wouldn't seek through the lounge or spread to the rest of the apartment.

It was a horrible thing to happen, but it was actually rather nice how everyone tried to help. Once the girls in our ward found out what was going on everyone brought over their rags and towels to help out. When we had too many people in the apartment the rest decided to go around and get donations from each apartment for laundry money cause a lot of clothes got wet as well as for all of the towels/rags. Another apartment realized that we hadn't eaten lunch or dinner (it was 5:30 by this time) so they cooked us dinner. It was cool how everyone helped out.

Finally, a guy who helps maintain the complex arrived with a wet vacuum and took it upstairs to the apartment above us to get rid of the water there (They had long since turned off the water so that the pipe wasn't flushing out water anymore). That stopped the flow down to our apartment, which helped, and then after they finished up there they came down to ours and did the same. So, now we have an apartment that reeks of wet moldy carpet, drying clothes hanging everywhere (my roommates' clothes can't go in the dryer) and people's towels, mops, buckets, bowls, pots, and everything else all over the place. By this time it was about 9:00 pm and we did not get the restful Sunday that we deserved. So we set up fans all over the place, did as much laundry that would be needed to sleep and go to school the next day, and then folded towels that we washed that were everyone else's so that we can eventually return them when we find out who they belong to. It's nice how everyone pulled together to help (I am just hoping they come back to get their towels, otherwise we will be swamped with them.)
Around 12:00 we were about to all head to bed, when a roommate went into the computer closet to write in her journal. We had completely forgot about that closet. Inside we saw the weirdest thing. There was no water on the ceiling or the first two shelves, but the 3rd shelf (which had her computer on it) had a puddle of water all over it which flowed off and got the carpet right below the edge wet too. There was no possible way that only that shelf could be wet and nothing else. So, considering I am more comfortable around electronics than the rest of my roomies, I unhooked the whole computer and brought out all of the equipment out onto the table to inspect the damage. The CPU box was above the water a little and upon opening it I only saw dust and cobwebs and no water so that was safe. The keyboard and mouse were drenched. The monitor was fine (it was on top of the CPU). the printer was sitting in water so we don't know how bad it is. I cleaned up in there, set a fan up for the carpet and left the computer stuff out to air out.

By this point, we were all tired and grouchy and the apartment smelled and just felt really humid (which I am used to, but the other roommates are from desert areas so they really hated the muggy feeling). I unfortunately am kind of annoyed with clutter in general (kind of is putting it lightly) and earlier in the evening I said something to a roommate who wasn't working and had her stuff everywhere and she just blew up at me. I should have realized that she was just trying to relax. Oops. So now I have to tide that over sometime today.

Well, that was our adventure. I was supposed to get up this morning to finish my homework, but I was so tired I slept in and had to apologize to the teacher who is giving me an extra day to do it. Here is the extent of our damage:

Oldest roommate : clothes all wet, text books damp, shoes wet, generally ticked.
Her younger sister : clothes all wet, palm pilot wet, shoes wet, book bag and books wet.
J1 : bed and bedding wet, computer.
Me : bed and bedding wet, shoes wet, notes from one of my classes wet, checkbook soaked.
J2 + A : just fine.

My roommates are going to talk to management today about it, so I will find out later what their plan is. Considering the age of the carpet, the grossness of the water, and the fact that it reeks in there, they might have to just replace the carpet which would be nice. But at the same time, they would have to move us out to do it which I don't particularly like. Oh, well. I'll find out later.

1 Comments:

At 3:30 PM , Blogger mrsd said...

And now you know why 'as mad as a wet hen' applies. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home