Monday, January 17, 2005

computer problems

BAH!

I see the importance of having different operating systems and file types and what not, but at the same time I wish that everything would be consolidated so I won't have the problems that I have everytime a holiday occurs. When a holiday occurs everything on campus shuts down except for the library and the computer lab there. Unfortunately the only computers in that computer lab are Windows operated and you can't add new programs to them because they are owned and setup by the university. So, even though I have 3 projects due on Friday and today is my only free day, I can't check to see if my code creates what I want it too because 1) two of my programs actually create a GUI program which with the simple FTP program the computers have, you can't veiw the GUI. and 2) for the other project I have to read in and write out files that are in .pgm and .ppm formats. I have done that, but unfortunately I can't make sure I got it right because none of the Windows programs on these computers support those file extensions for images. BAH! I have a ton of work, and I can't do it because they stinking close all of the usable computer labs. BAH!

You would think that a typical computer lab would at least have 1 or 2 Linux machines, but no they don't comsider that a wise investment cuase not many no how to operate it and thus they are worried that some poor soul who doesn't know how to operate (or someone who is very good at operating it) will cause problems and delete everything.

Anyways, back to my homework. I guess I can at least get my other assignments done so I have more time later this week.

2 Comments:

At 8:10 PM , Blogger Trueblat said...

You lost me at "GUI program which with the simple FTP program".

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger bandjam said...

And I thought I was doing quite well in trying to dumb it down to where you guys would understand (while at the same time completely thrashing the terms and what not to the point that any normal CS person would laugh at me :-). Oh well.
(If you wanted to know : GUI program would be like when you click on internet explorer and it brings up a display ontop of the normal desktop. and FTP would be a program that allows you to grab files from a different computer, edit them, and them return them to the orignal computer. (thus why you can't veiw the GUI because it transfers files not running programs and screen veiws). )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home